Main | Welcome - Forum | Registration | Login

[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Page 1 of 11
Forum » General » Free Talk » Welcome
Welcome
Master484Date: Friday, 2013-11-08, 12:00 PM | Message # 1
Group: Administrators
So, welcome back to the new (old) forum folks. smile

I just couldn't stand the Proboards forum, so back we go to the Ucoz forum module. This is the 3rd "forum solution" that I have tried, but I think that this time the decision is final; I'll keep it this way. It's better to have all elements under the same roof rather than to separate things.

In the transition process some old threads have been lost, but it's not a big deal, there were not so many of them...And the Tutorials + some other important things I'll move here soon.

Master484Date: Friday, 2013-11-08, 12:22 PM | Message # 2
Hehe, I actually first thought about making a second uCoz site just for the forum, but then thought it was a bad idea, so I just activated the forum module here instead...

But I already made a nice banner for it:

Which looks quite cool. Theoretically I could somehow get it up there to the top of this forum, but it's a risky operation; there already is a banner picture there (a global one that is shown on all pages), and it's very easy to break these templates, so maybe it's better not to even try a stunt like that lol...
Attachments: 5337870.png(5Kb)

cyberpunkDate: Wednesday, 2014-02-12, 7:15 AM | Message # 3
Group: Checked
Nice. uCoz seems to be the consensus lately.

It's probably possible to mess with some javascript or css in the banner frame and have it switch whenever the "Forum" link is clicked. Then you could change the code to do the same thing for the "Main" link.

Or you could just have it open up in a new frame. One for the forums and one for the homepage.

Message edited by cyberpunk - Wednesday, 2014-02-12, 7:28 AM

Master484Date: Wednesday, 2014-02-12, 1:42 PM | Message # 4

It's probably possible to mess with some javascript or css in the banner
frame and have it switch whenever the "Forum" link is clicked. Then you
could change the code to do the same thing for the "Main" link.

Yes, I too thought that some a simple trick like this would be the way to do it...
And if all webpages were coded in BlitzBasic I would just write a line like:
If UserViewingForum="YES" Then Gosub ShowForumBanner Else Gosub ShowNormalBanner
And that would take care of it. :)

But unfortunately it's HTML, CSS, JavaScript etc...
Maybe if I one day decide to learn them, then we might get an "intelligent top banner" like this, who knows. :)

cyberpunkDate: Thursday, 2014-02-13, 5:41 PM | Message # 5
Group: Checked
Yeah, unfortunately web design is a clusterfuck. I used to do some HTML and CSS but that was years ago and it's all faded on me. I was thinking the banner could be a variable and whenever the forum link is clicked it would cause an event that changes the variable to the
new banner without having to reload the navigation frame. It's probably
really simple for somebody who does web design.

Right now I only know some basic Python 3 programming. I made an "all-input" calculator that supported PEMDAS and it could strip and convert any user input into an equation and return the result. I had to develop my own reverse-shunting algorithm. It was actually really fun to make but I haven't really programmed anything else.

Have you ever used Python? I have no experience with languages to compare it to but I absolutely love Python.

Master484Date: Thursday, 2014-02-13, 6:39 PM | Message # 6
I know Python, but have never really used it...but I have heard many people praise it, and supposedly it's quite good for game programming too, if you combine it with that "PyGame" library thing. :)

Rusty_lvxDate: Friday, 2014-03-14, 2:30 AM | Message # 7
Group: Users
cool stuff man.

Message edited by Rusty_lvx - Friday, 2014-03-14, 2:31 AM

Master484Date: Saturday, 2014-03-15, 8:43 PM | Message # 8
Thanks. :)

Forum » General » Free Talk » Welcome
Page 1 of 11
Search:

Copyright M484 Games © 2017